Thursday, February 5, 2015

South Korea: Shopping *Kaching* and Eating *Burp*

(Some) Shopping in Korea

Seoul

Here are some shopping districts in Seoul on my must-visit list:
  • Namdaemun Market* (Anything and Everything, Hoehyeon Station)
  • Dongdaemun Market* (Retail, Dongdaemun Station/ Dongdaemun Stadium Station)
  • Myeongdong (Fashion, Myeongdong Station)
  • Itaewon (for foreigners, Itaewon Station)
  • Ewha (for ladies, Ewha Woman's University Station)**
  • Hongdae (Indie, Hongik University Station)**
  • Hyehwa (Charming, Hyehwa Station)**
*Markets are open round the clock, perfect for insomniacs!
** Similar to Taiwan and probably all other cities, university districts naturally develop into bustling dining and shopping areas (not forgetting, affordable).

My recommendations: While some shops are repeated in every district (Read: cosmetics chain stores), each area remains fairly distinct and caters to different groups of people. So do drop by for a visit, to soak in the atmosphere, even if it's for a little while. To make your planning as efficient as possible, 1. Save everywhere you plan to visit in Google Maps, 2. Download a Seoul Subway App for route planning (they do have many lines and interchanges)

Personally, I bought the most stuff from Ewha, everything a girl would want, can be bought there. Hyehwa has a special place in my heart because my hostel was there, and there's a restaurant where I had many a gimbap dinners (cheap and good). It is also where Sungkyunkwan University is, which looks very pretty covered in snow. I didn't dare to step in but I would in my next visit! And, Dongdaemum for the yummiest pancake one can have in winter. Souvenirs-wise, I recommend visiting a supermarket though, like Lotte Mart (the outlet at Seoul Station is accessible), or Emart (I visited the Yongsan Station outlet, after a soak at the nearby Dragon Hill Spa Jimjilbang.).

Myeongdong

Myeongdong

Myeongdong

Myeongdong

Myeongdong

Myeongdong

A shoutout to a friend's apothecary

Myeongdong

Dongdaemun Market

Dongdaemun

Dongdaemun

The market got it's name from the city's East Gate, Dongaemun

Dongdaemun

Dongdaemun

I joined the queue with locals for this. It's near the outskirts of the market. YUMMEH.

Dongdaemun

Ewha

Ewha Women’s University Fashion Street

Ewha Women’s University Fashion Street

Busan

You would think that if the largest department store in the world is in South Korea, then it must be in Seoul. But surprise, surprise, it's in Busan. Centrum City is one half Shinsegae Department Store (the largest one in the world) and one half Lotte Department Store (no sign of the last “Big Three” department store, Hyundai).

But the Lotte at the entrance is pretty flashy

Shinsegae Centum City

Shinsegae Centum City

Shinsegae Centum City

And Lotteria is open till late.

Eating in Korea

But Shinsegae had free Wifi. And a huge Christmas tree

Greetings from 'the largest shopping complex in the world'. Pray tell me what I'm doing in the lobby leeching on wifi. 
Greetings from 'the largest shopping complex in the world'. Pray tell me what I'm doing in the lobby leeching on wifi.

(Some) Food in Korea

Gimbap

Eating in Korea

Eating in Korea

I had this so often in Nepal, I had to try Korean soup noodles in Korea!

Eating in Korea

Pancake (Worth a second mention)


Schnee Pang (a waffle bag of German origins, too hard to try again)

Eating in Korea

Walnut and corn mini cake (at a subway station)

Eating in Korea

Eating in Korea

Supermarket snacks (this is the time to snack on them and buy back the nice ones, this Cheese Chips is too hard)

Eating in Korea

I rather have some of these! (Reminds me of papad in Nepal!)

Eating in Korea

Muffin (Xmas edition)

Eating in Korea

Because I'm on vacation and I shouldn't be counting my pennies nor calories.

6 comments:

  1. Definitely want to visit Korea someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to most of those places the last time I was there! Very fun for people who like to walk around and buy things =P I was experiencing too much culture shock and forgot about the food haha. I'll have to try those snacks the next time I go, they look yummy! =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been MIA for a while! You've been missed. Korea is quite near Japan for a short getaway, if you are still based there. Meanwhile, I definitely want to visit India (maybe Kodaikanal?) someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes these are the "regular" shopping districts! Haha if Korea gave you a shock, I think the night markets in Taiwan (rows of street food) will be even more exciting for you (preview here and more food here). Go go go. I am looking forward to Hugo's adventures, do post when you are ready. I'm sure he's a handsome Jindo. (Please, which Jindo isn't?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reply! Will have to check it out =D Hugo and I will make sure to deliver!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My pleasure! Yes keep the posts coming! *excited

    ReplyDelete

Featured

My Japan Itinerary (December 2012 and June 2016)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...