Monday, August 31, 2015

Rotterdam, Netherlands


A sneak peak that left me wanting more

It has been a long time since I last took a flight with 'free' hot towels, food, drinks, peanuts, and inflight entertainment... (The Lego Movie was good!) Oh, and my flight got delayed, so I missed the connecting bus to Antwerp. After being ushered from counter to counter and doing a fair bit of explanation to the KLM ground staff*, I got my 'get out of Amsterdam for free' letter and proceeded to the rail counter to get my train tickets to Antwerp (if I hadn't booked accomodation at Gent, I would have sneaked out of the airport!). The long summer days in Europe are a welcome change from the short winter days in Japan, Korea, Nepal....

I had to switch trains from Amsterdam to Antwerp at Rotterdam. The rail guy must have explained it darn well to me, because I got to the right platform, got on the right train and alighted at the right place. No one really checks your tickets in Europe, I think they use heavy fines to deter freeloaders. The quick stopover at Rotterdam was pretty much like my Europe trip, it was a sneak peak that left me wanting more!

I had about 1 hour to wander and explore the train station and the vicinity. I can't say much for other places in Netherlands but there seems to be more bicycles than cars in Rotterdam and Amsterdam. Which is admirable - great exercise, clean air and no congestion. These roads were probably not designed for cars, and I am for more trams and bicycles please!

Rotterdam

Rotterdam

Rotterdam

Rotterdam

Rotterdam

Rotterdam

Rotterdam

Rotterdam

This looks like any city.

Rotterdam

Now I know for sure I'm in Holland.

Rotterdam

If you are as confused as I am about the difference between Holland and the Netherlands, you're not alone! Watch this to find out more.


*I enjoyed flying KLM and will do so again in a heart beat if the price is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured

My Japan Itinerary (December 2012 and June 2016)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...