Saturday, March 26, 2016

Lake District, UK: Windermere Lake


(July 2015) 

Lake District has never been on my to-visit list, but isn't a wedding a great excuse to visit? After this teaser, I'm officially a convert (ditto for Scotland).

If I've inspired you to visit the Lake District, flying into Manchester Airport is better than landing at London. The train ride to Oxenholme then Winderemere is cheaper and faster that way. Speaking of train tickets, do book in advance, on the First Transpennine Express. Ticket prices only go up and never down. The cheapest tickets have fixed timings, while an open ticket is much, much costlier.  

You can conveniently collect your pre-booked tickets from the machines at the Manchester Airport train station.


The train ride was smooth, punctual and clean. The scenery,very blue and green (peppered with white-black specks of sheep and cows). If you are lucky like me, curious locals will chat you up and tell you about how awesome Lake District is. An amused old couple did.

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District 

Windermere was my gateway to the District. The wedding venue was a bus ride away, in Rydal. But I figured that since I was in town,  I should explore it first, so as always, I found somewhere to keep my luggage. 

  Lake District

Lake District

The Mountain Goat provides information and lockers around the building (and down stairs). 

Lake District

Two places to visit in Windermere - the Lake and Orrest Head. I've excluded the huge supermarket near the Windermere train station, though it was worth a visit too.

Lake District

This way to the Lake:

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

Lake District

I've always loved hiking. Through this trip, I learnt that hiking does not require a commitment of 9 days (such as in Nepal). Great hikes can take anywhere from one hour to a day. For these, I don't need a guide, I can't use GPS and I have to rely on vague instructions like "At this point you can cut the walk short and go through this gate, dropping down through the woodland and cross the main road at the other side.". Vague as it is before I embark on the walk, things fades into clarity when I get there. I even see the small post box. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured

My Japan Itinerary (December 2012 and June 2016)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...