Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Kyoto, Japan: Gion District

Fancy some Kabuki?

Gion is the most famous of districts in Kyoto. It's THE place to spot a geisha or two! Unfortunately, try as I might to weave in and out of the streets, I did not manage to spot any. Maybe you'll have better luck than me when you visit!

Gion Kyoto

Gion Kyoto

Apart from having tons of things to eat, there are tons of things to buy.

Gion Kyoto

I didn't see any geikos (professional geishas) or maikos (apprentice geishas) and the closest I got were seeing ladies clad in kimonos!

Gion Kyoto

At the end of a street is the entrance to Kiyomezu-dera Temple

Gion Kyoto

And at another end, the entrance to Yasaka Shrine

Gion Kyoto

Wandering, looking for some geishas!

Gion Kyoto

Gion Kyoto

Gion Kyoto

Gion Kyoto

Gion Kyoto

Gion Kyoto

Gion Kyoto

Gion Kyoto

Gion Kyoto

Gion Kyoto

Gion Kyoto

The landmark Minamiza Kabuki Theatre which starts to fill up closer to show times.

Gion Kyoto

Gion Kyoto

 
I am not the only one who finds the theatre especially pretty today!

 Gion Kyoto

This is the regular shopping street in Gion with many specialty shops.

Gion Kyoto

Never get lost with the district maps.

Gion Kyoto

Next up, you'll see why Gion reminds me of Amsterdam!

More pictures are available on my Flickr (simply click any photo).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured

My Japan Itinerary (December 2012 and June 2016)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...