Sunday, January 4, 2015

Taipei, Taiwan: 3 Things I Could Do Again and Again and...

Some things are worth returning for. I'm big on experiences, so here are my top picks for what I will do everytime I return to Taiwan.

1) Visit this wholesale stationery store to stock up on stationery (e.g. planners, character items) that are marked down from the listed price. Here's a link to their facebook page: 光南大批发 

Taipei

2) Visit the hotsprings at Beitou (despite taking very long to find my way). The Japanese's love for soaking has spread far and wide. The water in Korea's jimjilbang is not fantastic but the scrub by ahjumas (yes in their undies) helps you lose a few kilos of dead skin (i exaggerate), and the after-soak experience (think malt tea, hardboiled eggs, overnight stays) cannot be replicated anywhere else. Japanese are more particular about the source of their water and the zen-out experience and Taiwan is rather similar in this respect.

Beitou and Wulai are 2 more popular places for hotsprings near Taipei. (I think you can soak at Yangmingshan too!)

Visited Beitou again for the second trip. The themed station and train is pretty and informative! I prefer to go to the public bath (40NT) and mingle with the locals (in bathing suits) compared to getting a private room at nearby bathhouses which might use diluted water.

Beitou

Beitou

Beitou

Beitou

The train

Beitou

Beitou


Beitou

Beitou

Beitou

Beitou

Beitou

3) Go to Dansui... to get these fried mushrooms (I was very hungry then). I will add visiting any night market to this point. More on the food in Taiwan here. P.S. you can visit Danshui after visiting the National Palace Museum and soaking at Beitou's hotsprings, since they are along the same train line.

Danshui

Danshui

Other things to eat and see and buy

Danshui

Danshui

Danshui

Danshui

P.S. There's free wifi for tourists at selected iTaiwan outlets! The 'i' sounds like 爱, meaning 'love'.

Taipei

Yes Taiwan I shall be back for more! Thank you for following my Taiwan 2013 adventures. Stay tuned for a new chapter.

2 comments:

  1. I love to visit one of the amazing wholesale book stores of Taiwan. I love to read materials with the smell of printing ink and fresh paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by... actually 光南大批发 sells more stationery than books! I've updated the post. For books, visit Eslite, but it's going to cost you. Just look at the outlet at Taichung's Chunyo Department Store

    ReplyDelete

Featured

My Japan Itinerary (December 2012 and June 2016)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...