Sunday, September 6, 2015

[Advert] K or J?

I've been to Japan and Korea and I love them both, because each appeals differently to me. For instance, I prefer soaking in onsens rather than jimjilbangs because the quality of the water is better, but I love how the jimjilbang ajummas give a good scrubbing down in their leopard print underwear and the post-soaking experience (sleepovers!).
 
Food-wise however, I must say I have a slight preference for Korean food because: 
 
1. Eating on the street is less frowned upon in Korea, hence there's more street food in Korea. And I like to snack, walk and eat. Street food also tends to be friendly on the wallet too!
 
I still dream about this pancake I had at Dongdaemun.
 
Eating in Korea
 
And I love this Gimbap from one of the stores around Sungkyunkwan University. I stayed at a nearby hostel and I remember this as being affordable and oh so good.
(Gimbap is definitely something you can walk and eat, or sit down and savour.)
 
Eating in Korea
 
2. If you do sit down for a meal in Korea, their meals almost always come with numerous sides. And if you are lucky, they serve unlimited Korean seaweed! You never know what you are going to have, until they start serving you.
 
You'd have sides whether you are having Mushroom Pot,
 
 
 
DSC_4631
 
 
IMG_9021
 
 
DSC_5604
 
3. Korean food is more savoury (think Kimchi) and I'm a savoury person. I don't go gaga over Kimchi, but I do love these dishes:
 
In part because you can customise your food and the "ikea effect".
 
 
We had Nongshim noodles quite often for dinner during our Annapurna Base Camp trek too!
 
Eating in Korea
 
Ginseng and Chicken, what's there not to like?
 
DSC_4636
 
These are just some Korean food I had when I was in Korea in May 2009 and December 2013. There are tons more Korean food I love to eat when I am in Singapore.
 
I haven't returned to Korea since My Love from the Star made fried chicken and beer all the rage and I don't want to wait to return to Korea before trying Korean fried chicken*, so I will definitely be giving KFC Wings a go! No surprises which I would go for.
 
Freshly breaded in-store with a special batter, these juicy wings are cooked to crispy perfection and coated in your choice of two bold flavours – choose between the Japanese-inspired tangy yet savoury Umadare and the Korean-inspired sweet and spicy Yang Yeum. Who will be crowned king of the wings? You decide.
 
KFC Wings_Instore Poster_Eng_508x762Hmm-pf_N5
 
Pick a side and be part of KFC’s greatest wing-off. Hashtag #kfcoishii to support Umadare or #kfcmashisoyo to support Yang Yeum on Instagram!
I vote for #kfcmashisoyo. What about you?
 
*P.S. I did try Chir Chir Chicken, which I think is pricey and overrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured

My Japan Itinerary (December 2012 and June 2016)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...