Friday, September 18, 2015

Backpacking Hack #002 - Staying Budget

There are many ways to save money on your trip, whether it is in Europe or anywhere in the world, but it does take some compromise. Expecting something to be cheap, good and pretty, is a tall order. It's like expecting a Macdonald's macaron to taste as good or even better than a Pierre Hermé's. The cheapest way, may not be the most convenient, so you need to seek a balance for yourself and your travel companions.

For me, I am okay with staying in a dorm with strangers and using a common toilet. It matters however, that the place is in a safe inside and out, the sheets are clean and there are hot showers. When traveling within cities, my preferred mode of getting around is by walking. When travelling between cities, I would look out for overnight travel options as they would save on one night's accommodation. When I used to have time, I could save more than now, when any leave I have has to be spent judiciously. With age, I am re-calibrating my limits too, I'm not sure if I would do some things as I did in my youth (not too long ago) like sleeping in airports, taking a 10 hour bus ride, or waiting 5 hours for the bus in the cold.
 
How to fly budget and squeeze in more destinations - Europe Edition

I kept a lookout for flights leading up to the trip and I managed to find a flight on KLM to Europe at a princely sum of S$806.10 for travel in June 2014. Yes, right smack in the June Holiday peak travel period. Unfortunately, I have never seen a steal as such again. KLM please bring the promotion back! It was a direct flight from Singapore to Amsterdam (Netherlands), and train/ bus to Antwerp (Belgium). The flight to Amsterdam was delayed and I missed my transit bus, and I got a replacement train ride instead. A hassle that took a few hours, but still bearable (only because it was a long summer day). This was my first full-fledged service flight in a long time, and I probably wouldn't fly budget long-haul.

In addition, on departure, I took the KLM bus from Antwerp Central Station to the Amsterdam Airport. But because I chose a later flight, the long transit meant that I could explore Amsterdam. I kept my luggage in the airport locker, took a train to the city and wandered around it for a full day, including queuing up (for hours) to enter the Anne Frank House. On a trip this year, I took Turkish Airlines and had a guided tour of Istanbul on the return journey, inclusive of meals for free.
 
Total spent on flights: S$806.10

Where to stay budget - Europe Edition

I use hostel booking websites like hostels.com to search for and book accommodations. I could use Airbnb, but if I am travelling solo, I would prefer a bed over a room. As I would arrive in Antwerp, I checked out all the hostels in cities like Antwerp, Ghent, Brugge, and Brussels, before finally deciding that if I had to exceed my usual backpacking budget of US$10 per night, I had better stay in Ghent. A Basic 12 Bed Mixed Dorm bed at Hostel Uppelink cost me €23 with breakfast and a view of Leie River from the room. It's pretty common to find hostels with free breakfast.

Ghent

Ghent

Ghent

Don't be misled by the number of people you potentially have to bunk in with. 1. People rarely create trouble and backpackers are an understanding lot. 2. You'll be so tired, a little noise and light wouldn't bother you. 3. It might not be fully occupied. 4. It's not so much about the number of people in the room, but how much individual space you get. A 6-bed dorm in Tokyo was more crammed than a 30-bed dorm in Edinburgh. True story. Remember that location is also an important consideration, you may not want to stay on the outskirts of the city because traveling to the attractions will cost you.

That said, dorms are not for light sleepers or people who are particular about sharing toilets. Do read the reviews before booking. Some look out for atmosphere and activities, when these would normally be minus points for me.
 
Total amount spent on accommodation:
1 night in Ghent, Belgium: €23 (Basic 12 Bed Mixed Dorm)
2 nights in London, UK: £40/ €54 (8 Bed Mixed Dorm)
2 nights in Paris, France: €52.90 (10 Bed Mixed Dorm Ensuite)
1 night in Antwerp, Belgium: €12 (Dorm)
Total spent on 6 nights: €141.90 or €23.65 per night
 
How to travel budget between cities - Europe Edition

I love Megabus. I've used it since the days I travelled around the West Coast of USA. The savings are substantial when you book ahead and you can even change the bookings for a fee and top-up the difference. When I took it back in USA, no trip changes was entertained, you simply had to forfeit the ticket.

For example,
1. Depart Gent, Akkerhage, Hotel Campanile (12:45 AM) to London, Victoria Coach Station at (+1 day, 7:30 AM) £5.00
2.  Depart London, Victoria Coach Station (9:30 PM) arrive Paris, Porte Maillot Coach park (+1 day, 8:30 AM) £25.00
3. Depart Paris, Porte Maillot Coach park (11:30 PM) arrive Brussels, Rue du Cardinal Mercier Coach Stand (+ 1 day, 4:00 AM) £12.00
- Booking Fee £0.50
- Booking Fee + Amendment Fee (because I made 1 amendment, but the ticket price was the same)£1.00
Total spent on 3 rides between Belgium, London and Paris   £43.50
 
Gent to LondonLondon to ParisParis to Brussels
CostConsidering the Eurostar from London to Paris starts from £36, 3 trips for £43.50 means substantial savings.
DurationThe Eurostar takes slightly over 2h from London to Paris, that said, an overnight bus ride saves you a night’s accommodation, just make sure you are an easy sleeper. In fact, I enjoyed crossing the English Channel on a ferry.
TimingDeparture is late and the wait at the bus stop was long and cold.Slight delay on departure but this was the exception rather than norm.Arrives too early in Brussels, so much so the Train Station was not even open and had to wait outside in the cold.
Bus StopsGent bus stop was far from City center and public transport ended early.Both bus stops were centrally located.Both bus stops were centrally located.

You will need to note where the bus stops are and arrive at least 1 hour ahead (to be safe in my opinion).
 
Gent Bus Stop (outside Hotel Campanile)
Info from Megabus: The megabus stop is located in Akkerhage, outside Hotel Campanile and opposite Holiday Inn Express. Local buses 65 & 67 connect Akkerhage with Gent Sint-Pieters (main) station approx. every 30 mins. (every hour at weekends). For details www.delijn.be
 
This bus stop was the hardest to get too, because I had to take a bus from the hostel to the main station, then another bus. The earliest bus then was at midnight but the last bus departing for Hotel Campanile was much earlier than that. Hence I reached the bus stop really, really early and watched the sky darken. I think only 2 other people boarded from this stop and they were either dropped off by a car, or took a taxi. Only take this bus if you are prepared to wait in the cold. That said, this was £5. Only. 

From Ghent to London

From Ghent to London

From Ghent to London
 
This is how the area around the bus stop looks like.

From Ghent to London

From Ghent to London
 
The bus stops right before this sign.
 
From Ghent to London

The information at the bus stop:
 
From Ghent to London
 
To cross the English channel, the bus will board the Pride of Canterbury, and you will have to get off the bus and explore the ferry which has tons of places to sleep and even a Starbucks and souvenir shop.

From Ghent to London

From Ghent to London

From Ghent to London

From Ghent to London

From Ghent to London

From Ghent to London
 
From Ghent to London
 
London Bus Stop (Victoria Coach Station)
Info from Megabus: London Victoria Coach Station is situated on Buckingham Palace Rd at the junction with Elizabeth St. megabus services depart from Stands 15-20, located in the departures area of North West terminal (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/victoria-coach-station-plan.pdf).
 
Honestly, a perfect bus station, and I stayed a walking distance away from the coach station (anywhere under 30 min is walking distance to me).
 
London Day 1
 
Paris Bus Stop (Porte Maillot Coach Park)
Info from Megabus: Until 7th December, megabus.com services depart from Porte Maillot Coach park, next to Palais de Congres de Paris. Metro line 1 to Porte Maillot station or RER line C to Neuilly-Porte Maillot Station. From 8th December, megabus.com services depart from the new Gare Routiere near Bercy Arena. The nearest Metro station is Bercy, served by lines 6 and 14, or buses 24, 87, N32 and N35. The nearest RER station is Gare de Lyon.
 
The Porte Maillot Coach Park may not be right smack in central Paris, but I didn't think it was that bad, located just outside the train station and there was a Conference Centre (with a shopping gallery). I stayed indoors till late when the security guards shoo-ed us out. That said, waiting at the Coach Park was okay. It was popular route, much more than Gent to London. Can't comment on the new bus stop location. Yet.
 
Brussels Bus Stop (Gare du Nord)
Info from Megabus: Our stop is located next to Gare du Nord. This station provides rail connections throughout Belgium. Regional bus connections are available from the adjacent bus station. Trams 3 and 4 also stop here serving the North and South of Brussels. The nearest Metro station is Rogier (700m). On Friday and Saturday nights, the nearest Nightbus stop is the WTC (World Trade Centre, 350m).
 
 We reached Brussels in the wee hours of the morning. Thankfully I alighted with a couple and they knew the way to the train station. A very short walk away (in fact I think the driver dropped us near the station deliberately). That said, it was so early the station wasn't open and when it finally did the toilets weren't opened. I waited outside the station so long and had to answer queries from locals about when the metro would start and the station would open. What were the chances I would know? There weren't seats in the train station so I had a little scare catching a nap in the photo booth. Never. Again. Anyway Belgium is generally safe and the streets, clean and quiet. I splurged a little more than I would in Brussels, just like I should.
 
Total Damage (June 2014)
Two-way Flights: S$806.10
6 Nights of Accommodation: €141.90
Intercity Travel (3 rides between Belgium, London and Paris): £43.50
 
If you are going to go budget, you've got to keep a lookout, plan ahead and temper those expectations. And sometimes you'll be in for pleasant surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured

My Japan Itinerary (December 2012 and June 2016)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...