Sunday, October 1, 2017

Johor Bahru, Malaysia: Some Shots of Food

I love JB, don't we all? When I feel that my passport has been neglected for a bit, I'd whip it out and head to JB for a day trip (or longer if for a hen's night). 

It is pretty straightforward to get there: 
Since I stay in the east, sometimes I prefer going to Queen Street Bus Terminal and take the yellow bus to cross the causeway. It is more expensive, but more convenient and comfortable (guaranteed seats, or you can just opt to take the next bus). You have to wait for the bus to fill up before departing, but it's a direct bus. An alternative is to take the bus or MRT to Woodlands (or Kranji, not to be mistaken with Khatib), then take another bus to cross the causeway - I do this when I am meeting friends. Honestly, I am not sure which is faster or cheaper, because I don't really keep track, and for time, there are so many factors to consider. Time-wise, it's unpredictable but just be mentally prepared to waste lots of time, waiting and queuing for the bus or to clear customs, even when you least expect it. Tip: school holidays are great times for overseas camps. Regardless, you still have to get off and on and off to clear the Singapore and Malaysian customs (unless you drive). 

Here's an amalgam of some shots I took of food during our previous visits. Mind you, some are time-tested establishments (the old school), some, I suspect are no longer in operation (the turnovers). The main point of this post - there is always something to eat (and do) across the causeway, after you are committed to crossing the causeway, which is sweetened when the exchange rate is oh-so-favourable. Very often, you're spoilt for choice, money aside, there's only so much coffee your system (and bladder) can take, and so much food your tummy can endure. Spend your currency wisely!

Johor Bahru 2015


Option 1: Heading to the Streets
There tends to be lots of construction going on. Sometimes we had to walk through a building and out from its carpark to get to area outside the malls. Oh there's a herbal tea store round the corner, just nice to make up for over-stuffing yourself.


Johor Bahru 2015  

1. Bakery - Hiap Joo Bakery and Biscuit Factory

There is Hiap Joo Bakery - for chao ta (burnt) bread and banana cake and queues. I take the storefront on every occasion, and I doubt it has changed. 

  Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

The price list, applies only if the item is still available - go early!

Johor Bahru 2015

Seeing folks hard at work - it's pretty labour-intensive

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015  

Johor Bahru 2015

I think it's good to support local! But I kind of queue for the fun of it. I prefer my mum's banana cake (maybe because she adds walnuts?).

2. Bakery - Salahuddin Bakery (in Jalan Dhoby)

I recall that this bakery was particularly hard to spot, maybe because the storefront is so nondescript (hence, the street name and shot of the building). However, it's more important that the food is anything but that. I think it's pretty popular with locals.

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015  

3. Cafe - The Replacement

Coffee, churros, breakfast - what more to say?

  Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

For a piccolo, rose latte, and original churro, in 2015 (lol)

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015 

There are also other cafes around during the times we visited, like Maco Vintage (with crepe cakes) and Eh He. If you are a frequent JB daytripper, I'm sure you will recognise the cafe by it's signature item or deco (honestly, I don't). 

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

  Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

For a coffee, rose latte, and forest waffle in 2015 (lol)

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015 

4. Streetside Dining for dinner (Jalan Wong Ah Fook) 

Staying out on the streets till late, that's when the hawkers come out to play. We like our seafood. 

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Option 2: Staying in

Again, with more and more malls mushrooming, and new restaurants and shops budding, there are also plenty options if you choose to stay within the malls (i.e. Citysquare and Komtar), which is connected to the Malaysian customs (and Singaporean-owned, or so I heard).

We tend to go for Chinese food - like Tang Shifu, Dragon-i, Canton-i...

  Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015  

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015 

 If I am not wrong, I think this was from Old Town White Coffee in City Square (in 2015, lol). There also Ah Koong if you are thinking of some YTF.

  Johor Bahru 2015

Johor Bahru 2015

Of course, there's also Western-HK style - this should be from Kim Gary, maybe!

Johor Bahru 2015

Looking at these shots of food, makes me hungry. Also, it reminds me of the good times I had sharing meal times with family and friends. If we can endure all the queuing at the bus terminal or customs together, and spend one entire day together, eating (oh, remember to make time for a Thai massage in City Square, there's only one outlet I believe), you must be special (at least to me).

P.S. Apart from eating and getting massages, shopping and watching movies are other ways you can while your time away. Not my cup of tea though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured

My Japan Itinerary (December 2012 and June 2016)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...